Friday 20 September 2013

The Ants Go Marching Two by Two

Alright, finally, I am posting these! I ran in to some complications in actually taking pictures on the first outing of these garments as there was too much fun being had. Luckily not having photos gave me the opportunity to fix a couple things. For instance, the arm holes ended up being way too tight right under the arm. I undid the binding, shaved off about a half an inch and the fit pretty darn well now.

SO, without further ado, here are some photos:

                                                   Matchy, matchy!
                                                    Oh how scandalous!
                                                    And a little more detailed shot of the petticoat.
                                                   Eli making a sarcastic face.
                                                    And the backs.
                                    It was at about this point we realized it looks like we are doing an engagement shoot (we aren't)
                                                    

                                                   Hands in the pocket

                                                   Eli looking serious.

                                                   Close up of the back (there is a little pulling)

This project stared out looking at this dress and deciding that I needed it in my life. Sadly, my wallet decided that it wasn't going to happen. Luckily Eli suggested that I visit etsy and look for the fabric, that way I could make the dress that I wanted and make a vest to match! And thus the matching outfit was begun! I think they turned out pretty fabulous, although there were a few things I would have done different.

 For instance: the arm holes are currently bias bound but if/when I make this dress in the future I would stitch them before attaching to the bodice. Another thing I learned is that I will never, EVER insert pockets after a dress is finished again. I only put one pocket in because I couldn't handle it. The little slope of the waistband was a happy accident that I didn't realize until I had the yoke attached to the bodice. I really quite like the look of it.

There isn't any photo evidence of the single welt pockets on the vest. Too bad too, I am actually pretty proud of them! The vest front is a little wrinkled due to the damn fusible interfacing which decided to shrink considerably when pressed. I will have to look up how to pre-shrink fusible for future!

All in all, I think it was a pretty successful endeavor! Keep checking by for updates on my newest project!

Cheers,
Jessie

No comments:

Post a Comment